Justin Li


Two Articles

2008-02-29

Read two articles through my feed aggregator, and I have two questions.

A Wired article asked, "z = x - y + 4.z = y - w - 3.z = w - x + 5. Based on the system of equations above, what is the value of z? A) 2; B) 3; C) 4; D) 6; E) 12." The correct answer is supposed to be A, but isn't the system indeterminant, with 4 variables but only 3 equations?

A CNet article talked about Google giving out free voicemail messages for the homeless. The article had statistics on the homeless - that 40% of the homeless are unemployed (the other 60%, I'm guessing, works as manual labor), and that the average age of a homeless person is 9 years old. What? That's really ridiculous. If 40% of homeless people have children as the article says, that means some of them have two children per individual. Homeless. I'm shocked.

comments powered by Disqus